Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct
1. Be inclusive.
We welcome and support people of any sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, social and economic class, educational level, immigration status, sex, age, size, family status, religion, and mental or physical ability.
2. Be considerate.
We depend on each other to be productive. Any decisions that will affect another person should be considered carefully before acting.
3. Be respectful.
Disagreement or frustration happens. That is not an excuse for disrespectful behavior or personal attacks. We foster an environment where people can feel comfortable and are always welcome.
4. Choose your words carefully.
Any form of grievance or exclusionary behavior is not acceptable, including:
- Threats of violence.
- Discriminatory jokes and language.
- Sharing sexually explicit or violent material via electronic devices or other means.
- Personal insults, especially those using racist or sexist terms.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
5. Don’t harass.
In general, if someone asks you to stop, then stop. Differences of opinion and disagreements are mostly unavoidable. What is important is that we resolve misunderstandings and differing views constructively.
6. Make differences into strengths.
Strength comes from diversity. Being unable to understand why someone holds a different viewpoint does not mean that they’re wrong. Solve problems and generate new ideas while utilizing different perspectives.